Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

crazy Attractor Pattern feature coming soon, had to share

2»

Comments

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    Cool articles! thanks for sharing
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    Yes - this is brilliant!
    Great! Go ahead and switch to Onshape and I'll just wait for my referral check to arrive :smile:

I'm kidding about the check, but serious that Onshape should make the rest of your modeling easier if your products are similar to what you're showing above. The only other area I could see Rhino winning is in making a flat pattern of the parabolic-looking awning. With OS sheet metal it would have to be made of a series of arcs to work (I think)
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    edited September 2020
    Yes - this is brilliant!
    Great! Go ahead and switch to Onshape and I'll just wait for my referral check to arrive :smile:

I'm kidding about the check, but serious that Onshape should make the rest of your modeling easier if your products are similar to what you're showing above. The only other area I could see Rhino winning is in making a flat pattern of the parabolic-looking awning. With OS sheet metal it would have to be made of a series of arcs to work (I think)

(emphasis mine)
    @Evan_Reese
    Onshape has supported structures like that in sheet metal for a while now :)

mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, and you can do things like this

Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    daaaang! I haven't used sheet metal tools in quite a while, and never did very much anyway. Good to know. I end up designing mostly for molded parts. Alright @mark_leichliter welcome into the fold, brother. No excuses  :D
  • Options
    mark_leichlitermark_leichliter Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Consider me folded!
  • Options
    alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    You can also do things like this:

Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev
  • Options
    kael_ckael_c Member Posts: 3 EDU
    Excuse me, Im interested in using this but im a Highschool student and i dont know where to start or what to do, the 1st, 2nd and 3rd images you sent are interesting. I would probably learn a bit just from things like the 2nd image alone. It looks really cool and i could use it on other projects and such. A Step by Step guide would be really helpful, but that would probably take quite a bit of time so its not expected
  • Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,717 PRO
    edited November 2022

@kael_c here is a link to Evan's Attractor pattern post: 
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/14301/new-feature-attractor-pattern

That page contains links to a tutorial video and to the feature where you can add it to your tool bar.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎