Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Extrude to the point on a sketch.

mike_aizatskymike_aizatsky Member Posts: 3
I am extruding the face, and would like to specify extrusion length by a point on a sketch. 

I've got a front sketch (that I am extruding) and the sketch on the right plane that constructs the length of the extrusion (using references to from sketch). I see there are options to extrude up to face/part, but I can't figure out how to extrude to the point.
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    @mike_aizatsky There isn't a command for this but by creating a plane at that point using line/point or plane/point. Onshape will allow you to extrude to that plane using extrude to part or surface command. Then if you move that point the plane will move with the point and also the extrude to distance, in which I assume is the objective. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
  • Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    You have to specify some surface,solid faces to extrude up to surface.or some distance using blind.and also you can drag the arrow to specify the length but dragging will not snap any point or line.
  • Options
    mike_aizatskymike_aizatsky Member Posts: 3
    I think I have found a suitable way to do exactly this: I'm using sweep instead of extrude.
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I have found a suitable way to do exactly this: I'm using sweep instead of extrude.
    Bravo! This is also a viable, albeit sometimes laborious, workaround for the absence of "extrude up to vertex" (where the endpoint of the extrude needs to be a solid corner or edge, not just a sketch entity as in your case) 

I say potentially laborious, because it may need provision of a dedicated plane through the vertex as well as a dedicated sketch, whose endpoint is constrained to the vertex in question, and whose direction is normal to the plane of the extrude profile.