Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Enable "Link" document permission by default when sharing with editors

dean_brettledean_brettle Member Posts: 10 EDU
edited October 2020 in Product Feedback
Note: I'm not talking about the "link sharing" feature that allows a document to be shared publicly. I'm talking about the "Link" document permission checkbox that allows users with access to the document to derive from it's parts or use it's parts in their assemblies. The documentation currently states:

To enable other users to link to your document from their document (by linking to a part, assembly, FeatureScript, or custom feature, for example) check the Link document permission box. Link document is automatically selected if a user was granted Edit permission (with at least Copy/Export) prior to Release 1.54. Post-Release 1.54, this box must be checked manually.

It is really annoying to need to do this manually and to have to ask others to do it if they forget. If this won't be changing, please consider expanding the above note to describe the use case that motivated the change in 1.54. I just can't imagine a case where I've given someone permission to edit and copy my doc but don't want them to be able to link to parts within it.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001

In the share dialog, we state "

Limited permissions reduce the risk of 3rd parties copying or exporting your documents

We err on the side of security to avoid accidental share with options to export. The product is designed to focus on commercial concerns and customer IP.

Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    edited October 2020

@lougallo

In that case, shouldn't copy not be selected by default as well?

As the OP said, I doubt I would want someone to be able to copy my document, but not link to it.

PS: I like the new editor 😀

mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100