Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Loft problem.

geoff_joseygeoff_josey Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5f44952e7f8d9b30294acab7/w/e13ffc5978e2ad6b37b8a799/e/f2ef8bf8b24e05b0fce401cd

I have been trying to progress a fin design for some while without success even after watching the loft related videos etc.
I am trying use the loft function to create a solid between the 2 aerofoil sections which were imported dxf files. One is on the top plane and the second on plane 1
I have a number of error messages. The most common one is that the direction is not known.
Any help appreciated

Best Answer

Answers

• geoff_joseygeoff_josey Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    Very helpful. many thanks
    I have now run into another problem. I have modified the model to sweep the profile. All looks good and I thought it was solid as that was specified in the loft. When I issue the model for a quote they say the wall thickness is below 0.8 mm ! Not sure why and how do I check that the model is solid ?
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 462 PRO
    The body is probably solid, but the end of the airfoil is less than 0.8mm:

Your prototyping supplier may not be able to guarantee that the part that is less than 0.8mm thick will build properly.
    You could cut off the part where it is greater than 0.8mm thick, and resubmit.
    I have asked the supplier to verify the cause of the problem. Awaiting a reply.
    Moving to the next stage. I now want to put a 12 mm dia.hole vertically thro located 144 mm back from the LE at the top. I put the hole on sketch 1 (top face) and planned to extrude it. The introduction of the circle causes an error in the loft. Is my approach wrong ?
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/335b2ddbd47dcaca7a7d8193/w/9a589dc4e8c59e451f3e8886/e/f2fd44aae491c908c5ad534f
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 3,335
    Add the hole afterward rather then trying to include it in the loft (loft doesn't like sketches with internal profiles)
    That is what I tried to do. I have completed the loft and it looks good. I then added a test hole on sketch 1 (top) and tried to extrude with the remove option. I then get extrude and loft errors.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 3,335
    But you edited Sketch 1 which will affect the loft - create a brand new sketch for the hole.
    Got it - thanks

With much appreciated assistance from forum members I completed an earlier model involving lofting between 2 aero foil profiles.

On my current model (see link) I am following a similar procedure ie. importing 2 aero foil sections and then lofting between them.

The aero foil sections are dxf. files with a fairly high number of points defining the profiles.

I now get error messages related to the vertices. i have watched the loft video but cannot related my problem to the vertices issues explained.

Thanks

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/dde1e90dd0eea8d59765c1d3/w/f3fb7245ef0750a25f948be7/e/0d0b2f03ba5e870f01842482

I have sorted it ! The problem was extra centre lines on the 2 sketches.

• romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 462 PRO

Also, you may have noticed that you needed to select the face of the sketches, rather than any of the lines that make the edges of the sketch.

Nice!