Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Make parts look solid (non-translucent) in Part Studio

sam_cockssam_cocks Member Posts: 3 EDU
I'm just starting out with Onshape, having used SolidWorks a lot in the past.

When I model in Parts Studio, the objects are translucent (I can see all sides/edges in the model at once) which makes it difficult to work with and does not give the view I am looking for. In tutorials and other Google images I see online, all the objects look solid, but I can't find any settings to change this and all searches have tried come up frustratingly dry. The part is not set to transparent on the 'make transparent' feature.

When I view the part in Assembly view, it does show up as solid; however I have inserted images onto some of the faces which do not show in this and so the view is also not that helpful for my needs.

Does anyone know how I can either make the part solid in Parts Studio or make the images show in the Assembly view? Many, many thanks for any help you can give as I'm about to give up with Onshape and find another program.

I have a student license in case relevant.

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,428
    Sounds unusual - is that all models or just one? Model shading is controlled from the view menu (under the view cube, top right) but shaded is the default, or you can manually set transparency by right-clicking the part and editing appearance. What are the results of https://cad.onshape.com/check ?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    sam_cockssam_cocks Member Posts: 3 EDU
    Thanks a lot for the reply, Neil. I tried creating a new model to see if it does the same, and it actually turned out solid. My issue is that I started adding images to all the faces early on (I'm designing some product packaging and so useful to have these to see what it will look like), and it seems its these images that show through whichever angle you look at it from!

Do you know if there's a way to set images so that they don't show through the model? If not, I can use the workaround of hiding images that are on the back of a view which still achieves a satisfactory outcome.

FYI - I also ran the check site and everything came back compatible.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,428
    Ok - sketch images are for tracing around, not for decals. You can vote on the decals improvement here: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/2718/decals-or-images-as-skins-on-solid-faces-or-surfaces
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI