Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Move Face Translation Using Vector Addition

Kyler_WalkerKyler_Walker Member Posts: 183 PRO
edited November 2020 in Product Feedback
I am moving a face by some amount in one direction and some amount in the orthogonal direction. I would appreciate if I could, in the same feature, move in multiple directions.  I would propose treating the resultant move as the vector sum of each magnitude and direction pair. This would help reduce the number of features I need.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001

Although this would be possible in a custom feature, most use cases are not adding different vector transforms per face. This could be done with an array parameter however if you are doing offsets, this is possible due to the implied direction. One thing that can make this more complex is from a troubleshooting standpoint when you have nested properties like this and you are hunting down what has moved a face a specific direction.

I am interested in understanding your process here.

Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    Kyler_WalkerKyler_Walker Member Posts: 183 PRO
    lougallo said:

Although this would be possible in a custom feature, most use cases are not adding different vector transforms per face. This could be done with an array parameter however if you are doing offsets, this is possible due to the implied direction. One thing that can make this more complex is from a troubleshooting standpoint when you have nested properties like this and you are hunting down what has moved a face a specific direction.

I am interested in understanding your process here.

When I wrote this, I was working from a derived part and moving faces around.  I think it makes sense do define my moves by breaking them into orthogonal components. I ended up with 14 move face features and was thinking it took up a lot of space and made my feature tree confusing.  An alternative method that would also be convenient would be to allow lines and edges to specify not only direction, but magnitude as well.  Then I could make one sketch to define all of my moves that are parallel to the plane of the sketch.  I could edit the x and y component of any "Move Face" feature by changing dimensions in that sketch.  As an alternative to using an line/edge to define magnitude, it might be okay If I could use a dimension in a sketch to define a variable which I use to set the magnitude of the "Move Face."