Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Flat view for surface.

OdinOdin Member Posts: 3

Hello!

How can I get a flat view from a non-flat, non-cylindrical surface?

I am planning to make a pattern (.dwg) and then roll this tube out of the material.

Best Answer

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    Answer ✓

Model it how it is manufactured in the picture :)

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4568b85540f412a1f22da289

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 475 PRO

🙏 Bravo @NeilCooke . Very nicely done. I'll have to squirrel a few of those tricks away for future use.

• OdinOdin Member Posts: 3

Many thanks! Nick

This is what I need!

A few days ago, I did the same operations (removing a narrow strip in a solid) but I could not convert the solid to sheet material.

I try to repeat, but for some reason the two edges after the loft operation do not match the diagonals.

And I can't understand why there are so many points in a circle on a sketch with a circle and rounding?

Why in your project on "sketch 2" all triangle constrain? i don't see equal constrains

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307

I'm not sure I understand the question - sheet metal parts cannot have twisted faces, so the sketches are "faceted" to make the loft have flat faces only.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI