Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Misbehaving mates

thomas_holfordthomas_holford Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
I've made the following document public:  Octagonal pedestal

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/1d0aacd5ac1e425d97f4253b/w/c81d8434e8a846008ca85e4e/e/736a3a04075f4635934306ca

Question 1:  Is there any way to freeze the orientation of a part or assembly so that it appears in the same orientation when the document is closed and re-opened.  It also seems that OpenShape randomly picks a tab to use as a the document picture for the documents list.  Is there any way to make the documents list use a preferred tab/picture.

Question 2: I am try to assemble the parts in an octagonal frame (Assembly 1) tab.  If gotten the first four parts to mate, but adding additional parts in the orientation I want just isn't working.  Either I can't get the parts to mate in the orientation I want, or the mate disrupts the previous mates and distorts the geometry.  The mates functions just don't seem to be as intuitive or robust as they need to be, especially for larger projects with many parts and assemblies.

What mate functions or strategies do I need to use to produce the octagonal frame I'm trying to create?

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    @thomas_holford

Re your Qu2:
    Mates in Onshape are not designed or optimised for what you're trying to achieve: they're intended purely to deal with relative motion.
    There's a much simpler alternative, which is to "Circular pattern" the parts in a Part Studio. This will achieve what you're trying to do in a single feature.

If you then want to insert them into an assembly, maintaining their octagonal relationship, simply "Group" them in the assembly, and "Fix" one of them.

There's a Webinar laying out MultiPart Modelling which clarifies the different conceptual underpinnings of Onshape, relative to other modellers you may be used to, at https://www.onshape.com/videos/twio-multi-part
    The audio could be better, but the content is golden.
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    @thomas_holford
    If I were modelling your pedestal, I would have only a single tab: a Part Studio

If you were intent on using Assemblies and Mates, it would be preferable that all parts be mated to their own connector rather than to each other:
    You would need to create a circular array of connectors, which (off the top of my head - it's not something I've tried) would probably first require creating a circular array of construction planes.
    Mating to adjacent parts is akin to building a house of cards:  tricky to carry out, and not resilient to future contingencies.