Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

PIN IN CURVED SLOT

gerald_friedmangerald_friedman OS Professional Posts: 50 PRO
Is there a way to put a pin in a curved slot and run it end to end?

Comments

• Options
    Forgot to add...Without using the tangent mate.

Also need to be able to rotate the pin as it moves in the slot.
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    I'm not aware of any way to do this without some version of a tangent mate. Why are you opposed to using one? As a general solution to making a part follow a path, you would create a dummy slot surface and if necessary a dummy roller. To keep the pin centered in the slot you would offset the path slot surface accordingly. You then fasten the two dummy parts to the parts in question, add the tangent mate, and then hide the dummies. You'll also need a planar mate to keep the roller from moving axially. It should move smoothly as long as there are no indeterminate points where the roller can be tangent to two points at once.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/57acdfaae4b005c413ed9b6f/w/3fd585a46d3af1b3ba413c53/e/c23e5f039ae4d2f5baec1c92

• Options
    Never mind. Figured out a way to do it.

Used a bunch of tangent mates and a cam to turn the shaft.

Tricky application.
  • Options
    alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    Here's a quick way to do it:
    1. Create a dummy surface on the tip of the pin
    2. Add a mate connector to the center of the dummy surface and offset it the radius of the slot (or create it in context at the center of the slots' arc)
    3. Add a revolute mate between the dummy's mate connector and one at the center of the slot & add angle limits to keep it in the slot
    4. Add a revolute mate between the dummy's center and the pin's center
    Hope this helps!

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/507a0b6f5598526b0901568f/v/553abcc1fc688cff8743522a/e/96531f6f9ec76ed5689e4b08

Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev
  • Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    @alnis_smidchens, that is an extremely clever trick placing an offset mate connector on the dummy surface.  I borrowed and expanded on your idea.  @gerald_friedman, is it your intent that the pin is just free to rotate?  Or is your goal to achieve rolling contact between pin and wall of slot?

I assumed the latter.  I widened the slot to provide positive clearance and positioned the pin such that it registers on the inner face of the slot. The model could just as easily be configured with the pin registering on the outer face (but not both).

I also added a gear relation between the two revolute mates based on the ratio of the radii of the contact surfaces (24mm/6mm = 4:1).  Animate the revolute mate labeled virtual pivot to set the assembly in motion:

• Options
    Mathew,

Not rolling contact. There's a cam driving an arm attached to the pin.

• Options
    Tried to put movie in but failed. Obviously don't know how.
  • Options
    I down loaded LICEcap and tried to make a GIF of my pin in curved slot application to post.

LICEcap took a picture of the desktop right through the browser image.

Anyone know what I did wrong?
  • Options
    Finally figured out what was wrong with LICEcap recording.

So here is the pin in curved slot driven by a cam.

• Options
    bert_fouriebert_fourie Member Posts: 101 PRO
    I wonder if somebody can help me. I created a surface to define a path for a pin to follow. However, when I go to select the face mate of the curved surface it only selects a part of the face - I assume it is because of the vertices on my curved face. How can I get rid of that so that the entire curved face is selected?

• Options
    bert_fouriebert_fourie Member Posts: 101 PRO
    I was able to turn the shape into a spline and then extrude it.