Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is there a way to realign an assembly to a view?

leon_goldmanleon_goldman Member Posts: 8
I have created an assembly, but it has ended up not aligned with one of the standard views. Is there a way to hightlight the assembly as a whole and then have it realign with the "front" view, or "top view"?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited August 2015
    Start with a group mate and window select all components, this will lock the parts together relative to each other and is ideal when bring parts in that are already positioned in a part studio or imported from an assembly. I'd then do a fasten mate between the origin (small dot) and a chosen position on the group of parts you have just grouped with the group mate, in the fasten mate dialogue you have the options to flip and reorient and offset as desired. 

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    Actually we need a "partially" button. Whenever I tried to "group" the entire assembly many of the existing relationships (gear, fastened, etc) in parts of the assembly turned red, so I never tried to see if I could realign the assembly. I do not have the energy to then go through all the relations and recreate them. I just decided to leave well enough alone at this point as the entire assembly was a learning experience just to see if I could to. Thanks, though, for your answer, It probably solves the issue, but I am too tired at this point to try.
    Thank you.
    Leon
  • Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    @leon_goldman I suspect that when you are finished aligning and suppress the group possibly delete all of the relationships will return. As I said I'm not sure but my point is that you don't need to worry about trying new procedures in onshape. You can use the undo or even go back in the history and restore if something just doesn't work out.
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @Leon_goldman you should be able  suppress existing mates perform this process then un suppress. Also make sure nothing is fixed that will cause you problems as well.

Share model and we can take a look.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    thank you all. all very helpful. Appreciate everyone's time and effort.
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Just incase this wasn't suggested as a solution before - you can window select any number of components in the assembly and then by RMB over either the tip of a triad arrow, or by RMB over the triad origin and then (anti)align with Z or move to the origin. This is even more powerful when you realize that you can drag the triad to any edge or center point to redefine the coordinate system. I hope this helps you :)

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    @leon_goldman
    Best assembly practice is to first insert and position the main part (say the housing, for a gearbox), then RMB on it in the tree and choose "Fix". Now you can mate all the other parts relative to this main part, either directly, or to parts already mated to it. 
    Then if you need to reorient the assembly, all you have to do is Unfix that first part in the tree (which will have an icon, indicating it is fixed), apply the Triad method described by @philip_thomas so it produces the desired views, (except you will not need to select all the parts, just the first one)

ON EDIT : and then refix it.

But da_vicki's method in the next post is more rigorous and robust, as well as easier to modulate, as he points out.
  • Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    I wish I could input an incremental value into the triad when moving a handle. Because I can't I sometimes prefer to mate my base part to the origin then I can move the base part by editing the mate in either X,Y,Z or rotate with precision.
  • Options
    traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    da_vicki said:
    I wish I could input an incremental value into the triad when moving a handle. Because I can't I sometimes prefer to mate my base part to the origin then I can move the base part by editing the mate in either X,Y,Z or rotate with precision.
    I agree that the triad needs incremental snaps. I use this for rotations a lot.