Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do I prevent two separate extrusions from having merged faces?

ria_manria_man Member Posts: 2 EDU
When I extrude a sketch, I extrude it to the same length as another sketch. I want to edit the appearance and make the separate extrusions different colors, but the faces of the extrusions merge and all of it becomes one color instead of the part I just extruded. Is there a way I can fix this or stop the face merge from happening?

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,393
    In the second extrude, click New instead of Add
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    martienmartien Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    That creates new parts that then overlap in space.

The scenario I have why I am looking for an answer is that I want to have a reasonably complex inlay pattern properly reflected with differently coloured faces, and I have not yet been able to find a way to do that. In my case, all the parts (or surfaces) are generated with linear and circular patterns, so the parts to select are variable, so looking for ways to do this without the need to select parts or surfaces (hence the attempt to do this with a merge.

For now, as a workaround, I have extruded up to the face of the first set of parts, with an offset of -1e-4, just to keep the faces separate, but the design intent is that the faces are at the same level.
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,365 PRO
    You can color faces by feature, if that helps.

Perhaps you can share an image or link to a file?