Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How do I make the camera controls not awful? Seriously, everything shouldnt tilt on camera-rotate

thanh_vu946thanh_vu946 Member Posts: 5
I need the camera controls to be parallel to the ground. It's seriously difficult to rotate an object when it's always tilting. Literally nobody wants it like that. I need it to be like fusion360 or any other normal camera control where rotation around an object doesn't cause it to tilt side to side, as in, it's afixed to a vertical axis. As it is, the camera controls are outright unusable. 

Answers

• alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 447 EDU
    I agree with @S1mon. When mechanisms move around, "up" in the global coordinate space often doesn't make much sense, so I prefer trackball rotation as the default. It also makes navigation more consistent. For example, when you're zoomed in on a part and selecting a bunch of edges to fillet, or when you're working on a sketch, it's nice that the view always rotates/behaves the same way independent of how the model is oriented. You don't have to constantly think about which way is "up" when navigating around.
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev | Currently an Onshape intern: asmidchens@onshape.com
  • thanh_vu946thanh_vu946 Member Posts: 5
    It is seriously the only thing that's holding Onshape back. If you're confident in the UX, make it an option so that users can decide to make it like every other normal cad, or inconsistent rotation. Focus is another thing clearly missing from the experience. Whereas any other cad, your focus fulcrum is fixated at the center of your previous selection or mouse-over of a feature; in OnShape it rates about some random point or origin somewhere else, so the object is always flying off the screen no matter what you do. That's not normal and it's seriously infuriating to use. If these were simply made options, onshape can compete with Fusion360 or Inventor. 
  • steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    @thanh_vu946

This was done on a 2017 MacBook Pro
    This is real time.
    I wasn’t looking to do this as fast as I could for this GIF

Just wanted to illustrate that most users are not having any problem moving around the interface

I would imagine the guys that are using their desktop units with their track balls could probably move around within the modeling window at quite a fast clip

So I used the trackpad on my MacBook Pro plus 3 keys — CONTROL — OPTION — f

• romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    @thanh_vu946
    Another thing to consider, is that Onshape rotates around the centroid (or close to it) of whatever is under your pointer...if you're working in a Part Studio, and have planes or large sketches visible, the rotation center may be picking those elements, rather than the center of your view.

Try turning off all construction geometry (Shift+P) and see how it behaves for you.

• kriskatekriskate Member Posts: 3
    Did a default rotation option get implemented somewhere where I can’t find it by now?

I’m just starting out with OnShape and planning to work on an ipad too, but after playing around for an hour or two, I just cannot get past this “rolling” phenomen.
    I do love the feature set, but dragging a finger up/down/left/right and coming back to the same spot I started the drag should rotate my model as it was, and not potentially offscreen.

I do understand it might be a matter of taste, but if the option to lock the view as lots of users would like it is already implemented, why not have the option to default to it w/o having to hold a button while rotating (also, there usually are no keys on mobile devices)?
  • jonasdjonasd Member Posts: 2
    Looking for the same answer... Looking to do more cross-platform CAD so I wanted to try switching to onshape... modifiers are not part of touch or mobile experiences; please allow defaulting to "alt" mode... Really impressed with the tool so far but this is a real dealbreaker :/
  • brett_davis270brett_davis270 Member Posts: 2
    Bump. I understand that many people have acclimated and even grown to like this translational math oddity, so I'm not interested in making this the default behavior. That said, an option for permanent constrained orbiting would be very much appreciated! I don't mind using ALT on my PC, but this is kind of a non-starter on a tablet.
  • padcompadcom Member Posts: 7
    NeilCooke said:
    Hold option/alt
    You guys are making assumptions that key modifiers will save the world. It won't! E.g. in Linux Alt is used to manipulate window size/position so just using "alt to orbit" won't cut it. There needs to be a setting allowing that (and orbiting point) to be configurable, rather than forcing one to abandon one of the most useful features of the operating system being used. That's just short-sided. 

Also, how do I make the rotation point (at least) fixed or (better yet) configurable?
  • charles_coulter852charles_coulter852 Member Posts: 2
    Seriously. I can't figure out how to get controls more similar to Fusion 360 or Sketchup. This is maddening. I'd love to use Onshape but I can't if these types of controls are not available to me.
  • cadfriendcadfriend Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    NeilCooke said:
    Hold option/alt
    You guys are making assumptions that key modifiers will save the world. It won't! E.g. in Linux Alt is used to manipulate window size/position so just using "alt to orbit" won't cut it.

First hold down the right mouse button and then hold down the ALT key. If you press the ALT key first, you can change the window size in Linux.

• thanh_vu946thanh_vu946 Member Posts: 5
    cadfriend said:
    NeilCooke said:
    Hold option/alt
    You guys are making assumptions that key modifiers will save the world. It won't! E.g. in Linux Alt is used to manipulate window size/position so just using "alt to orbit" won't cut it.

First hold down the right mouse button and then hold down the ALT key. If you press the ALT key first, you can change the window size in Linux.

In what world do you think this is a real answer... Yeah everyone knows you can rotate by holding alt. We are past that stage.. That's literally the problem. Nobody wants to do that. 

• clunycluny Member Posts: 2
    Was just trying out OnShape, but this is also a significant issue for me. OnShape isn't the only CAD software to have limited look & feel options - there are minor annoyances to be worked-around in Fusion 360 too - just hoping that doesn't have to be the case forever.