Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Getting to "fully defined"

thomas_holfordthomas_holford Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
Reference document: Octagonal pedestal - multipart

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/28044d76fae64781bc7c9c46/w/f0b392a79f784531824bf25d/e/f31eb6eef1ea46ceb4d1ee03

Part Studio: Parts Rev 2
Sketch 1

I've created an octagon shape with two lines using offset.  To this point, the sketch is fully defined.

I added a box at the 9 o'clock position using the corner box tool.  The box is related to the inner line of the octagon.  The sketch is still fully defined.

I copy the box 8 times (7 replicas) using the circular patter tool.  The original box remains fully defined, the 7 replicas are NOT fully defined.

I try adding additional relationships to the box at the 10:30 position and succeed in fully defining the box sides but not the whole box.  Trying other relationships over defines the entire sketch.

Help.  What is necessary to define the replicas without over defiining the whole sketch.  OnShape seems to report what relationships exist, but is not very helping in saying what additional definitions or relationships it wants.

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    thomas_holfordthomas_holford Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Thank you.

What I am taking away is that for anything to be fully defined, it has to have a constraining relationship to the origin.

Correct?
  • Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    edited August 2015
    Thank you.

What I am taking away is that for anything to be fully defined, it has to have a constraining relationship to the origin.

Correct?
    Not technically.  It needs to have a definite position in the sketch which requires either a fixed constraint (forcing it to be where you put it) or to have some kind of relationship to something that is outside of the sketch.  For example, you could have made the exact same sketch that was about the vertex of a face and as the face has a well defined position then the sketch would be fully constrained.

1. I made an arbitrary located rectangle in sketch 1.  The lines and vertices are blue because they are under-defined.  This means that their position isn't fully defined and I can grab and move them.  I will save this sketch being under-defined.

2. On a new sketch, I dimensioned a rectangle relative to the rectangle on sketch 1.  As far as sketch 2 is concerned, sketch 1 has been committed and solved, the position of the first rectangle is fully defined.  Because of this, I have defined my new rectangle off of the sketch 1 rectangle and it is fully defined.  There is no relationship to the origin here.

3. If I go back to sketch 1 and move my rectangle, the sketch 2 rectangle will move accordingly.  It is being solved after sketch 1 is solved relative to the rectangle in sketch 1.

1.png 198.4K
    2.png 209.1K
    3.png 195.5K
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great example, @jakeramsley , thanks
    It goes well past answering the immediate question, to clarify something much more fundamental.

Your third step is also a great example of non-trivial, non-obvious pitfalls from leaving sketch geometry under-defined.