Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Extrusions will not extrude turns red and nothing

I am just trying to extrude a rectangle onto a part that I have already drawn. Part of the rectangle is "floating" in space, but the other part is not.
Why will it not extrude?

It is this basic puzzle cube that the  PLTW classes use.

Here is the part

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7db9d78cd79a72a09c0b4e13/w/7bd1f8dd7c59e891d6edd014/e/766bdf5f644d80d9274d010c

Answers

• Options
    Mark_CheliMark_Cheli Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 13
    Hi Kevin!

This is what is known as "non-manifold geometry".  Specifically you will have an edge that is infinitely thin between the new geometry and previously created shape.  This infinitely thin edge cannot possibly exist in the real world, so Onshape prevents you from creating it.  Here's a reference that might be useful for you:

https://www.sculpteo.com/en/3d-learning-hub/create-3d-file/fix-non-manifold-geometry/
  • Options
    kevin_daney054kevin_daney054 Member Posts: 9 EDU
    Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I understand the issue, but it seems I should be able to still make the part on the computer and 3D print it. It has a "non-manifold" geometric corner, but the rest is solid connections.  I am a teacher and the students are designing a puzzle cube with 27 3/4" wooden cubes.  They are to design it on OnShape and then actually build it in the real world with wooden clocks.
    Is there anyway to still draw this on OnShape?

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    @kevin_daney054
    Cool project. Is there a reason these two parts have to be one body? if you cut them exactly as shown out of wood somehow, they would have been cut into two pieces anyway. You can also export them as a single stl for 3D printing with no issue.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    kevin_daney054kevin_daney054 Member Posts: 9 EDU
    Well in the real world they will be one part so they might as well be on OnShape. Also the students are new at OnShape and to add lots of extra steps would be hard.  I guess I still do not understand why I can not extrude the part as one part. seems weird.

• Options
    Ah, I looked at your image too quickly. I understand why it's confusing that it can't be done. No CAD system can do it that I'm aware, so this could be a helpful limitation for your students to learn anyway. I don't fully understand why either, but I think it's something to do with the math behind how it defines the inside and outside of the shape. At the edge it becomes infinitely small so the inside and outside can't be determined. The real solution is just to add a slight interference or slight gap, but since you don't want to add a bunch of steps, you could use the composite part feature (check the "closed" tick box) to make onshape treat them as one part.
  • Options
    david_saloniadavid_salonia Member Posts: 4 EDU
    Sorry Evan but you are wrong. I was able to easily model this part with Inventor. And this part can certainly be machined or cast. This is a limitation of the Onshape modeling algorithm and it should be corrected. As long as one surface of the rectangular portion of the part is attached to a surface on the T portion, Onshape should be able to model it. But it doesn't. 
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,363
    @david_salonia it is true that Inventor can do this but I’d love to see that part accurately manufactured. Parasolid does not permit non-manifold geometry and this will not change. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    As long as one surface of the rectangular portion of the part is attached to a surface on the T portion,
    I tried to open the original document, but it looks like it’s not there anymore.

You used the word attached
    Well it looks like the two parts were not attached.
    Looks like these two parts were touching at the corners of each and that’s all

• Options
    Sorry Evan but you are wrong. I was able to easily model this part with Inventor. And this part can certainly be machined or cast. This is a limitation of the Onshape modeling algorithm and it should be corrected. As long as one surface of the rectangular portion of the part is attached to a surface on the T portion, Onshape should be able to model it. But it doesn't. 
    News to me, thanks! I've only used parametric CAD packages with Parasolid at the core, and didn't realize others were different in this regard.
  • Options
    leonid_raizleonid_raiz Member Posts: 9
    edited February 2021
    Your extrusion probably made using Add and therefore makes non-manifold geometry as Onshape tries to add it to preexisting parts. It should however work okay if you switch to New and will make a separate part.