Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Pattern Distance in Assembly

Joel_JenksJoel_Jenks Member Posts: 5
This may be something to request as an added feature but I'm wondering if I'm just missing an obvious answer. I'm trying to linear pattern a rib component equally between the 2 inner channel faces of this mantel in my assembly.
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/975095b4170673da488312c8/w/91ae95cfc29fc7877b30d264/e/0798eedcb132255347a02034?configuration=default

The end goal here is to have the rib spacing adjust parametrically when I change the mantel width. The problem I'm having is that the linear pattern feature only gives me the option to pick direction and a distance input which is just arbitrary. I would have expected this feature to have an option to "pattern between faces" or "pattern up to face", similar to how the extrude command does. Is there a way to define that pattern distance by the distance between channel faces? Or maybe some FS that achieves this? This seems like a very simple operation so I'm concerned that I'm just missing some obvious work around..

Best Answer

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Unfortunately assemblies lack many of these parametric options.

Keep filling out improvement requests and link it here. I'm always for better assembly patterns
    I don't remember if there is a IR out there for between face, or up to face options in the current pattern dialogue.
    That would seem more likely for Onshape to implement quicker than entirely new patterns like I ask for :)

Here is a pattern improvement that would do the trick for you as well
     Derived Component Pattern (Assembly) — Onshape

Answers

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Unfortunately assemblies lack many of these parametric options.

Keep filling out improvement requests and link it here. I'm always for better assembly patterns
    I don't remember if there is a IR out there for between face, or up to face options in the current pattern dialogue.
    That would seem more likely for Onshape to implement quicker than entirely new patterns like I ask for :)

Here is a pattern improvement that would do the trick for you as well
     Derived Component Pattern (Assembly) — Onshape
  • Options
    Joel_JenksJoel_Jenks Member Posts: 5
    Bummer. I guess I'll start writing that IR then. Thanks for the quick response!