Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

sort an array by another array?

Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
I have an array of faces that are in a seemingly random order in the array (by index), but they are arranged linearly enough that I could measure them from a certain point and get a sortable list of values. How do I use the array of distances to re-order the array of faces?

Maybe this question is too specific and there's actually a better approach altogether. If so I'd love to hear it.
Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl

Best Answers

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    Answer ✓
    @Evan_Reese

Did you know that the FeatureScript maps allow the key to be anything? [1]

Because of this, you can have a map of distances, indexed by the face Query. This makes sorting very simple, just using Onshape's sort function:<pre>sort(arrayOfQueries, function(a, b) { return distances[a] - distances[b] }) </pre>
    [1]: Values and Types
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
    Answer ✓
    @Evan_Reese

Here is an example:

// This map gets filled out with the keys being `Query`s and the values being `ValueWithUnits`s.
    var queryToDistance is map = {};

var queryArray is array = ...;

for query in queryArray {
      queryToDistance[query] = evDistance(context, ...);
    }

queryArray = sort(queryArray, function(a, b) { return queryToDistance[a] - queryToDistance[b] });

IR for AS/NZS 1100

Answers

Answer ✓
    @Evan_Reese

Did you know that the FeatureScript maps allow the key to be anything? [1]

Because of this, you can have a map of distances, indexed by the face Query. This makes sorting very simple, just using Onshape's sort function:<pre>sort(arrayOfQueries, function(a, b) { return distances[a] - distances[b] }) </pre>
    [1]: Values and Types
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    Thanks @MBartlett21 I'm not sure whether you meant make the face query the key or the value. I got it working by making it the value, with the distance as key, but I have a feeling I took the long way. If you have time I'd appreciate a simple example showing what's in each variable above.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
    Answer ✓
    @Evan_Reese

Here is an example:

// This map gets filled out with the keys being `Query`s and the values being `ValueWithUnits`s.
    var queryToDistance is map = {};

var queryArray is array = ...;

for query in queryArray {
      queryToDistance[query] = evDistance(context, ...);
    }

queryArray = sort(queryArray, function(a, b) { return queryToDistance[a] - queryToDistance[b] });

IR for AS/NZS 1100