Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Affordable alternatives to ExactFlat?

tony_459tony_459 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
edited December 2020 in General
I'd like to flatten the faces on my 3D parts so that I can cut them on a CNC/waterjet/lasercutter and join them together, e.g., by welding.
ExactFlat does this type of flattening, but it's super expensive. It's way out of my budget.
Wondering if there are reasonable alternatives either free or priced reasonably for occasional home users?

Comments

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    The built-in sheet metal tools in Onshape will flatten your parts
  • Options
    Sorry, I was thinking of flattening parts that... cannot be flattened without special cuts or deformation... like the head of an animatronic character, if you wanted to cut one into 2D patterns to then stitch together... This might be asking too much, and I have to admit I'm not sure that even ExactFlat does this...

I might have to just rethink how to machine things like this if I want to make them :-D

Thanks for the reply anyhow!

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,367 PRO
    Rhino is a fraction of the price. It has flattening tools which may be good enough. http://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/5/help/en-us/commands/squish.htm

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Thanks, S1mon! Rhino actually seems worth a look based on the features mentioned on that page. I might have to check it out! Wondering... how much per license for home use? And do they do monthly subscription licenses? Thanks again!
  • Options
    Compared with ExactFlat, or even Pro seats of Onshape it's inexpensive, but it may not exactly be a home use thing, depending on your budget:
    https://www.rhino3d.com/en/sales/north-america/United_States/
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Thanks!
    It's still pricey, but the license seems perpetual and not just a subscription, so a grand seems acceptable even for home use...
    If it's useful to me for three years, than that grand becomes $30/mo, which is on par with an Adobe Illustrator license.
    The only thing bad about that grand is having to pay it all at once :D
  • Options
    Does Rhino deal only with mesh geometries, or can it handle CAD (e.g., STEP) geometries also? I'd rather not have to convert to mesh, but I'm guessing mesh is a requirement?
  • Options
    I haven’t used the flattening tools in a while, but it was using nurbs surfaces (same as Onshape). Rhino does do stuff with meshes, but primarily people use it for surfaces. 
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    Rhino is primarily a nurbs tool and can flatten nurbs geometry, and can also do a decent amount of mesh manipulation. I use it to flatten things when I need to, but I'm not doing anything as complex as a head. I'm not sure 100% what you need but pepakura could work for some of it too (I've never used it though).
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    Thank you both! This is all great to know. I'm glad Rhino isn't just for meshes. I'll need to learn more about it---and pepakura, to see if it's worth a closer look :)
  • Options
    davide_veronesi799davide_veronesi799 Member Posts: 2 EDU
    I have purchased Exact Flat almost a year ago and now I no longer need it.
    I want to sell my license for a reduced price, if any of you is interested contact me.