Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Importing IGES files for editing

michael_klinemichael_kline Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
I have imported a version of a model in IGES format, and recently was given a new version. I cant "update" the import with the new model, it has too many changes. So I imported the new one fresh and clean, and found out that I can't edit it like I can the first one- which has numerous edits and add-ons of my own design. Did something in Onshape change, or am I missing a setting when I import that is making the model not a solid? I have imported the newer model about 6 times now, testing every variation of the settings I can see, and none of them work. I even went back to the original file download link and tried uploading a fresh copy, and still didnt work.
The only thing that I can tell is different /file wise/ is that the newer model import has some extra sketches associated with it, where the first version was a clean model. Would this be making the model non-editable?

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,392
    IGES as a standard (pronounced “I guess”) was discontinued in 1995. It is notoriously bad at transferring geometry accurately. The fact that the first one came in solid is pure luck. 

Can you try a different format like Parasolid or STEP?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    michael_klinemichael_kline Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    I wasn't aware of that, its still used regularly in my circles similar to STL files, when people don't want to share the native format file.
    I'll ask him for a better format. Thanks