Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Update Context Indicators for Internal References

matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
Does Onshape provide any indicators that in-context references are out of date?  I am specifically interested in internal references (parts in the same document as the assembly).  It seems like the onus is on the user to determine when to update a context, which is potentially problematic if the mismatches are hidden from view.

This screenshot illustrates and example where the entryway cutout in a crate shell has been enlarged, creating a gap between the it and the door frame (visible immediately to the left of the door frame, flange).  The context of the door frame needs to be updated, and then the context of the door itself will need to be updated to match.  But I don't see any visual indicators or flags in the feature tree that would prompt me to do so.  This one is externally visible.  But what if the in-context reference were hidden from view?

Answers

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,904 PRO
    edited December 2020
    This is one reason I minimize the in-context usage.

But I can't think of a way to flag anything.
    The point of Onshape's in-context approach is, make a context, move the model, make another context.. etc.

So by that, then all contexts are always out of date.

I think a chart on a right handed flyout window (like BOM) that shows all the contexts visible from whatever assembly level you are in would be handy.
    Give us a place to name/description/note/last updated, and a highlight of the affected parts.

That way there could be a simple place to check all contexts in the assembly and have a brief note next to each one:
    "Switch to Displaystate 2, update when setting extended position of cylinder"