Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is there a personal use only 'comment/note/to do list' feature?

JAN_RJAN_R Member, csevp Posts: 11 PRO
Hi Everyone!  Is there a way to use the comment tool for personal use only?  If not, is there a way to setup a note section within a document.  From my experience all the comments are shared with everyone the document is shared with.  While this is great in some ways I find I'm looking for a way to leave notes or a to do list within the document or even in a tab just for my own reference to ensure something doesn't get forgotten. It may seem trivial to some but with many projects on the go at anyone time and trying to run a business at the same time this type of feature would be very useful.  This may turn into an improvement request....

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,399
    There is not, since the whole idea of a Document is that all details can be seen by everyone with permissions. Another way to create notes is to create a Feature Studio and add comments in there (using standard code commenting /* ......  */).

One option would be to create a branch in the doc. Comments are workspace specific, so if you create your own branch and tag yourself in a comment, it will show up in your Action Items list (under your profile menu) but nobody else will see them (unless they open your branch). Only downside is that when you click on the action item it will take you to the branch and not Main so the comments may be out of context.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    mfalkensteinermfalkensteiner Member, Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 66
    Owners of documents automatically have comment permission on their documents. When an owner shares a document directly with another user, the owner may grant Comment permission to that user (and also revoke it). All of the permissions that allow editing automatically also allow commenting. The Can view permission also allows commenting.
    Principal Technical Services Engineer, EMEAI
  • Options
    Thanks for that gentlemen.  I guess here is my challenge.  We're a small shop and I'm the only one that works on the project.  All users who documents get shared with are either vendors or customers.  I really don't want them to see the notes I'm leaving for personal review.  The current workaround is that I generate a separate document for them to view.  Not ideal but it works..  It would be nice to see some sort of project system for non enterprise users....  
  • Options
    mfalkensteinermfalkensteiner Member, Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 66
    I want to take a step back, but you are talking about the comment function which you find in the top right corner, right?
    Principal Technical Services Engineer, EMEAI
  • Options
    I see what you're saying, but that would essentially lock up the comment functionality for outside use.  
  • Options
    alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    @JAN_R you could use the free link tab app:
    https://appstore.onshape.com/apps/Utilities/DFE73AMQ42NPMVAEQBQVP56QGLCWJ4ALJUBEBLA=/description

Then, you can use any to-do website that can authenticate with a "sign in with Google" or just use a Google Doc. If you're using a Google Doc, you should make the doc in a separate tab and paste the specific doc link into the link tab link box. You can share this document with any team members who need access through the Google Docs sharing features. Here's what it looks like if you are authorized to view the Google Docs document:

Here's what it looks like if you aren't authorized to access the Google Doc:

Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev