Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Document Page disobedient to selection

andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is anyone else getting bumped right down to the bottom choice, namely "Tutorials and Samples", in cases where, on returning to the Documents page, it is defaulting to the uppermost option, namely "Recent Documents", and you try to pre-empt this by selecting "My Documents" ( second to uppermost ) ???

Comments

• Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    No, Everything working as normal here.
  • Options
    bobminerbobminer Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 50
    Onshape remembers the last filter or search string you had on the Documents page.  So if you have Tutorials and Samples selected and open a document and then close the document, you'll be back at Tutorials and Samples. If you've searched on something, open a document and then close the document, you'll be back in that search again. We thought it would be helpful if you didn't lose the filter or search you had when you were last on the Documents page. If you'd prefer to always be back at My Documents or Recent Documents, please let us know.

Bob Miner - Software Engineer / Dev Leader - Drawings - Onshape, Inc.

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I might like checkbox 'remember location' on/off.
    //rami
  • Options
    @bobminer
    I don't have a problem with the design intent you describe, but (in two separate respects) that is not what was happening for me.

Firstly, I was repeatedly being shown "Recent Documents", regardless of what I was looking at last.
    I did not raise this in my OP, because on reflection, it occurred to be that I might have still had a session open on another computer.
    I can understand having a concurrent session could affect this behaviour, so I was unconcerned. Ideally, I would like the preference to be on a 'per machine' basis, if concurrent sessions are detected, but it's no biggie.

Secondly, and this is what I was reporting as "disobedience":
    In this situation, I would routinely override the "Recent Documents" list selection, clicking on "My Documents".
    Those words would highlight, but shortly before opening the resulting window, the selection would spontaneously flick down to "Tutorials and Samples", and that list would open instead. 
  • Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    @andrew_troup,

I'll look into this today, I meant to yesterday but got distracted with other work.  I have an assumption of what is happening.  Our documents page tries to bring you back to the same filter that you were on previously, however if it doesn't find any documents it brings you to the "Tutorials and Samples" filter.  
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    @jakeramsley

While your at it maybe you can look into why since the last update this same list as lost the ability to scroll. I had to delete 7 organizations in my list so that I could see and select the bottom of the list (Public and Tutorials and Samples)
  • Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    da_vicki said:
    @jakeramsley

While your at it maybe you can look into why since the last update this same list as lost the ability to scroll. I had to delete 7 organizations in my list so that I could see and select the bottom of the list (Public and Tutorials and Samples)
    Yes, this is known about and being tracked.
    Jake Ramsley

• Options
    @jakeramsley

As I suspected, it seems that having more than one session of Onshape CAD open concurrently means that the "the same filter that you were on previously" flag (which you referred to above) is not refreshing: effectively (it seems to me) that flag retains its value until all but one session is closed, and a different filter chosen in that session.

It's clearly a major timesaver to run with several concurrent sessions, given how long a document takes to load, and I would guess I'm hardly exceptional in rarely getting back to having only one. But this means things are not working, for multisession users, as Onshape's visionaries intended.

If this is currently a difficult limitation to rectify, 
    I'll just have to take care with my filter selection whenever I'm down to a single session, so as to avoid unwittingly carving that unwanted precedent in stone. (OK, I exaggerate: plasticene!)

Thanks for fixing up 
    "Tutorials and Samples" glitch. I'm guessing that your assumption, quoted (with my emphasis added) below, was not the full story. Certainly it seems it didn't apply to my situation, where I have literally dozens of items under "My Documents" ---   but then again, maybe that routine "wasn't finding them" because of some other problem.

@andrew_troup,

I'll look into this today, I meant to yesterday but got distracted with other work.  I have an assumption of what is happening.  Our documents page tries to bring you back to the same filter that you were on previously, however if it doesn't find any documents it brings you to the "Tutorials and Samples" filter.  

• Options
    @jakeramsley

Thanks for fixing up "Tutorials and Samples" glitch. I'm guessing that your assumption, quoted (with my emphasis added) below, was not the full story. Certainly it seems it didn't apply to my situation, where I have literally dozens of items under "My Documents" ---   but then again, maybe that routine "wasn't finding them" because of some other problem.

@andrew_troup,

I didn't explain this very well.  It wasn't that there weren't documents listed under My Documents, but that by navigating the check for the number of documents was happening before it found all of your documents.  As a result, the system was looking at an empty list (one that hadn't populated yet) and deciding to go to Tutorials and Samples.  It's something we are looking into.
    Jake Ramsley

• Options
    Thanks @jakeramsley ; I understand now