Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Trying to make a helical channel but can't select helix

I am trying to make a helical sweep by using a helix as the path. I successfully did this a couple of times in the past, but now, for some odd reason, I am unable to select the helix as the sweep path.
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d066794cb26bfe70de278868/w/02fb9c9db37537357cde3a7e/e/afd31314c93460fa62ef3a05

Best Answer

• MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,698 PRO
    edited December 2020 Answer ✓
    At a glance, it looks like the sketch you are sweeping needs to be touching the start of the helix.

If the helix is right where you like it. Try creating a plane on the tip of that helix and place your sketch there. There should be an option in the plane feature called Curved Point, use that.

Also, the helix could be hidden in the part or surface. Press the "~" key to filter through the parts that you cursor is over. You can also select the helix from the drop down "Curves" list on the bottom left portion of your screen.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎

Answers

edited December 2020 Answer ✓
    At a glance, it looks like the sketch you are sweeping needs to be touching the start of the helix.

If the helix is right where you like it. Try creating a plane on the tip of that helix and place your sketch there. There should be an option in the plane feature called Curved Point, use that.

Also, the helix could be hidden in the part or surface. Press the "~" key to filter through the parts that you cursor is over. You can also select the helix from the drop down "Curves" list on the bottom left portion of your screen.

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • gianmario_scottigianmario_scotti Member Posts: 22 EDU

Thank you - the plane in which I drew the profile to sweep, was in the wrong position relative to the cylinder in which I produced the helix. Now I moved the cylinder so that the beginning of the helix exactly coincides with the profile. I still couldn't select the helix even though I tried to use the "-" key on the numeric keypad or the main keyboard. Maybe something to do with the Finnish key layout, I don't know. But your suggestion to use the "Curves" drop-down list seems to have done the trick.

Thank you very much.
    Glad to help!

The squiggly key above the left tab key. "~"
    Not the "-" key.

Not the "-" key.
    Oh, the tilde. My eyesight is sub-par to say the least. Thanks again!

Not the "-" key.
    I checked https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/select-other.htm and none of the shortcut keys listed there work with my Finnish keyboard. Do you have any hint on what I should be trying, before I try every special character with all possible control key combinations?
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    It should be the key above TAB regardless of the character, but that's not always the case.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    NeilCooke said:
    It should be the key above TAB regardless of the character, but that's not always the case.
    Thank you, but unfortunately it didn't work. It's not the end of the world because I can still use right-click and then select "Select other..."