Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Making The Mandalorian's Helmet- How can I Cut Out His Cheek Inlet?

neev_kanwarneev_kanwar Member Posts: 2 EDU
Hi! I am working on this helmet for a class and am not sure how to cut this out. I am relatively new to OnShape so it may be pretty easy, I am just not sure how to do it. Basically, I have made 2 projected curves and intersected them with my cylinder for the helmet(screenshot attached) Now, I want to get that projected curve to "cut" a hole into the helmet. Thanks for the Help!

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited January 2021
    Thicken may work, or split face.

Try to thicken the orange surfaces and subtract them from the helmet.
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Yes, split followed by delete body to remove the "cheek". But it looks like there is some weirdness at the upper border/corner of your surface. You probably just need to play with the tangency direction at one of the edges.

Thicken could work, but it also might fail if the cut is too deep or the curvature of the surface is too steep.

Also, in order to ensure the split works well, make sure the cutting surface extends well beyond the helmet volume. Right now you can tell part of the edge sinks inside the helmet volume. In that case a split would fail.