Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

is there any way of adding galvanised steel to the material list?

Dylan_AlexanderDylan_Alexander Member Posts: 2
I am wanting to assign certain parts in my assembly as galvanised steel however there is no option for this steel in the material list. Does anybody have any tips on how to possibly add this material, or know of a material already available on Onshape with the same properties.

Comments

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Galvanization is just the process of applying a zinc coating. It's not limited to any particular class of steel. You're probably fine just using a standard carbon steel. All steels have similar density. If you're planning on running an FEA and are worried about strength properties, then you'll need to find out the properties of the specific material you plan on using. Worst case, you can create your own material library with custom materials. But as I said earlier, you're probably fine just using carbon steel.
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    Customizing Materials (onshape.com)

The link above will explain how to create your own material library.

@mahir you're right about not needing it for weights and measures, but it is more about how the steel gets ordred.

We also use "Galvanized" as a material type for purchasing. Rather than sending a plain steel out to plating after manufacturing.
  • Options
    mfalkensteinermfalkensteiner Member, Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 65
    Principal Technical Services Engineer, EMEAI