Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

feature not replicating in linear pattern

tom_seiboldtom_seibold Member Posts: 12
I created a small part and would like to connect several such parts together with "sprues" for 3D printing. I extruded a 1mm-diameter feature which is clearly part of the merge scope of "part 1," but when I specify part 1 to be a linear pattern (with the intention of each sprue extending into the next one to make a single part out of all the replicants), the sprue does not appear on any of the repeats as part of the linear pattern. Suggestions welcome. https://cad.onshape.com/documents/e904677ce27c21270c7b3774/w/785fe5367450b548e390aaed/e/d0b013d475a8ac0f0af3c257

Best Answers

Answers

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Your sprue 1 feature is after your pattern.
    You will need to move your pattern down to capture the geometry.

This is a feature, the tree reads from top to bottom and each feature can only see what came before it.
    So if you wanted to pattern these parts, and then later add sprues to some of them, you don't have to worry about messing up your pattern

• tom_seiboldtom_seibold Member Posts: 12
    Thanks so much for explaining that. I went through all the tutorials and either missed that principle or forgot it. Your tip will enable me to get my print. However, in the spirit of always improving my skills, do you have any ideas about how to suppress the sprues that now extend from the parts on the right and bottom edges of this part array?

I can always manually trim them off from the printed item as I will the between-part ones, but it would be nice to skip that step if possible. I have considered making the left-right sprue a separate part and repeating it two more times, then doing the same for the top-bottom sprues (no repeat), but I assume I'd then have to do a Boolean to join them all into one. I also experimented with the "up to..." extrude options, but those apparently don't work with pattern-repeat items that are below it in the list.
    Answer ✓
    Delete face should work for that
  • wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 472 PRO
    Answer ✓
    I see, that is an option too.  :)
    My problem with that is there are a lot of sketch entities that may break or need to be adjusted if the pattern quantity changes.

Whereas with the delete face no matter what the change is in the pattern, you can:
    press spacebar (clear the selection)
    view normal to the right face, window select the nubs on the left
    view normal to the front face, windows select the nub on the right

so the recovery is simpler for future modifications. :wink:
  • wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 472 PRO
    You make a valid point I need to learn to use some of the tools that work directly with faces more.