Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Use configuration variable in part properties?

Eleanor_CoffinEleanor_Coffin Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
I feel like there's an easy way to do this that I'm missing... I have a part that uses a configuration variable for its length. I want to use that variable in the description for the part (ideally in an equation) so that I don't have to manually change the description for every instance of the part I have in my assembly, because they're different lengths. How do I do this? It wouldn't really work for me to add a custom property for this part because it would be just a few parts out of a couple hundred that need this specific property.

Answers

• Options
    Eugene_RegentEugene_Regent Member Posts: 2
    The same problem to me too.
    Now I am using Boikon/Bosch alu profiles with several lengths in an assembly as configurations.

Using Computed Part Properties , mentioned by BLeeVN is only for the mass.
  • Options
    John_vd_WerffJohn_vd_Werff Member Posts: 65 PRO
    @Eugene_Regent
    There is a feature script 'Part name FS' from @Evan_Reese that creates Part numbers and/or Part Names based on configurations.
    I created a derived version called 'FS Part Properties' and added the option to create a Part Description based on configurations.
    I have used it for exactly the same situation; creating individual numbers, names and descriptions for configured Bosch profiles of different length
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,065 PRO
    My Part Name feature was originally based on code from Neil Cooke's Part Number feature. They were both made before computed part properties were introduced, so that might actually now be the best way to do it, but I'm not sure. The example just does the part volume, but I think it can do way more complex things. It does seem like it's mostly there for when you need a company-wide property computer. Otherwise, a custom feature can certainly do it. This makes me think that it might be worth writing a new "Set Property" feature were you can choose any property to set from a dropdown instead of limiting it to Name and Part Number. I might take a crack at it when I have time if no one beats me to it.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl