Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Is there a way to anchor parts in on shape?

chase_benderchase_bender Member Posts: 2 EDU
I am part of an FRC team participating in a FRC game design challenge. A template field is provided to the teams but none of the parts are mated together (more than 100 parts), the parts are already in the correct positions but can still be moved out of those positions. I know in inventor software there is an option to anchor parts in an assembly to one spot but I have not been able find such an option in onshape.

Answers

• Daniel_KaneDaniel_Kane Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 22
    edited February 2021
    Hi Chase, if you right-click on a part (either from the modeling space or from the instance list) you can choose to "Fix" that part. This will make it so that part can't move in space. 

In the scenario you describe, where many parts are in their correct position but aren't mated, the "Group" mate feature can be very useful. Any parts in the Group will be fixed relative to each other: https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/mategroup.htm  

Hope this helps! (Sorry for the large image  :D)

• mckenzie_brunellemckenzie_brunelle Member, csevp Posts: 2 PRO
    When inserting the Evergreen Field components into an assembly, if you want to use them in the configuration they are provided in, you can highlight all of the parts and use a group to fix all of the components together. You could also group a subset of parts if you want to keep some together (such as the border walls and carpet) then use the appropriate mates for the rest of the assembly.

You will also want to "Fix" one of the components to set it in place relative to the origin. This will keep your overall field assembly from being moved when you click and drag.