Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Drawing View Properties

andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2015 in Drawings
There are so many elements missing from the Properties window for a Drawing View it's hard to know where to start.

All we have currently is "Scale" for that view

The one I personally miss most often is "Model"
We need to know if the model being referenced is a Part, a Studio, or an Assembly
(and before too long, I hope, what configuration, in each case)

And before long, we will need to be able to re-reference views (and sheets, and drawings) so they point to a different part.

It's frustrating trying to use as it is for real work, without being able to track back to what is being referenced, particularly when there's a problem.
Imagine detailing a bunch of visually almost identical parts, when the views are anonymous.
And sometimes an assembly is visually identical to a Part Studio in the same document.
I guess a short-term workaround for the anonymity is to stick a Note on, as soon as each view is created. 

As a shorthand guide to what other elements are missing, I can't offhand think of any Solidworks properties which are never useful, so that's perhaps a useful reference point for the long term.

Hopefully others will comment on what is most critical to them at this early stage.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    After I read your post, I was thinking what is this about? I opened it from frontpage. Then I noticed the category was drawings which made me read it again and now I understand what you are talking about. I don't have that much to say about drawings at the moment, I will get back on this at some point.
    //rami
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @3dcad: Thanks for that. I read your helpful comment in time to go back and edit the title and the first sentence to clarify what I was talking about.
  • Options
    don_howedon_howe Member Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    I was looking for away to crop a view but I don't see any way to do this either. There are a lot of short comings with drawings features and tools.