Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Difficulties to create an angled support structure

jo_grjo_gr Member Posts: 12
Hi there,

So here is a part that I modelled and I would like to 3d print it. In order to make this better printable I would like to add a solid support structure at a 45 degree angle attached to the wall (like the triangle in the picture, but all around the basin). I have tried to find a solution for many hours but I failed... Maybe someone here in the forum has a good idea how to do this?
Here is also a link to my project: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3bb2b69cbaf47f079e60d4d0/w/9d521d08fedd81eb641c35bb/e/23ee9afa16878fd8dd0b75af

Best regards and many thanks,
Jo

Answers

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    Does a loft work for you?
  • Options
    I tried a loft yes, but it won´t generate it...
  • Options
    dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 541 ✭✭✭
    I have made a copy of your document to see if I can help you.
    But there are so many gap's and other problems in the part's that I gave up.
    I think it it better to start all over again with your design.
    Good luck
  • Options
    John_P_DesiletsJohn_P_Desilets Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 236
    @jo_gr There are a few different ways to create this feature. As a best practice, ensure all the underlying geometry and curves are sound before constructing surfaces. This will help you down the road and prevent regeneration errors.

Here is my approach. I modified some of the parts in your example to make it easier to explain. (Split the part in half)
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6233d064894653f46fa83555/w/229a378fdd9fcf8a1df8c0e4/e/557c5e189af273e65da91f1c

I sketched a line that will be the lowest point for the support. Using that line, I split the face of the surface. 

Next, I lofted from the edge of the swept surface to the edge of the split line. 

Last, I used the enclose feature to create a solid part. 

Hopefully this is what you are looking to do. let us know how you make out!

• Options
    Ok, thank you anyway. Yes it got messed up a bit, I may gonna try to do it more properly again.
  • Options
    @John_P_Desilets : Thank you so much, that is a very clever and easy solution! I also tried to use the enclose feature but it didn´t work.
    I assume the reason is that I had already thickened some of my parts, which may make it more difficult to catch all necessary surfaces for the enclose feature. 
    In case you are interested: It is going to be a little 3d printed fountain and on top of this curved surface I will place an LED stripe to illuminate it:)

Btw: I don´t know why, but all my posts here in this forum need to be approved for some reason. So they are always delayed some minutes or hours. Not sure if it is supposed to be like that for new members...?