Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

New Video: The Featurescript skill every serious Onshape user should have

Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
Hi all, I finally got around to recording a video showing how to use Featurescript to make global-ish variables, and then riffing on that concept. The goal here is to help non-code people use a powerful workflow for making your designs super updatable, and also to trick them into learning some Featurescript along the way. It's pretty long, but if you're here on the forums at the end of a Monday, maybe you're just into this stuff like I am.

https://youtu.be/uB43P7LqkHw
Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl

Comments

• alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    Really fantastic video Evan! I am finally no longer super afraid of FeatureScript. I'll definitely be using this tip!
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    Really fantastic video Evan! I am finally no longer super afraid of FeatureScript. I'll definitely be using this tip!
    Thanks, Alnis! I'm sure you'll be scripting circles around me in no time.
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,713 PRO
    Legit! Thank you.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    great job and will be a goto reference.  Thanks Evan!
    www.accuratepattern.com
    thanks, Bruce! glad it's helpful.
  • alan_baljeualan_baljeu Member, User Group Leader Posts: 111 ✭✭
    I like!
    Creating knowledge-driven design automation software, for molds, etc.
    www.virtualmold.com

• tonvistonvis Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    Thanks Evan for your effort,

I love to work with  Featurescript , your lesson is very helpfull because of lack on other examples, the only way learning Featurescript is hands_on !
    I would like to know how you designed the structure for "FractalStockHardwareChartFeature" can I download a copy of the code in your video,
    it would be very helpfull to get a inside vieuw.

Many thanks
    Ton Visch

• sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    Great video and idea with the stock FeatureScript!
    tonvis said:
    Thanks Evan for your effort,

I love to work with  Featurescript , your lesson is very helpfull because of lack on other examples, the only way learning Featurescript is hands_on !
    I would like to know how you designed the structure for "FractalStockHardwareChartFeature" can I download a copy of the code in your video,
    it would be very helpfull to get a inside vieuw.

Many thanks
    Ton Visch

Thanks! I plan to make the next video series about how to make a hardware library like ours, and will include some code with that.
  • tonvistonvis Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    Evan,
    Your video was helping a lot.
    May thanks on forehand for your help
    .All support will help me and others  understanding and working with Featurescript which is very tough for a newcomer.
    To understand all functions and how to handle them, we need examples as you was given inyour video.
    Best regards
    Ton Visch (Netherlands)