Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How can I make a linear pattern number variable?

a_gorea_gore Member Posts: 11 PRO
edited March 2021 in Community Support
I have a sheet metal part that I can alter the length of using a configuration, along the part I have a set of holes that repeat a given distance set in the linear pattern. I would like to set a variable to change the number of instances but it doesn't seem possible to assign a variable to the number of instances as it's not a dimension. I could set the linear pattern number of instances greater than the length of the part will ever be set to, then the part would get fully populated with holes no mater the change in length. However I don't want any holes to come within a certain length of the end of the part.

Any suggestions on how I could make this work?

Answers

• brooke_spreenbrooke_spreen Member, Developers Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    Double check your variables.... the number of instances variable needs to be unitless. Not sure if this is your problem, but I've run into it a few times in the past. Here's a quick example....link.
    Design Engineer | Anerdgy AG
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    Is the hole made from a sketch? If so, variables won’t work in a sketch pattern. If you create the hole as a feature pattern it will work. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • a_gorea_gore Member Posts: 11 PRO
    Sorted, thanks guys.