Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Anchor a Feature to the Bottom of the Feature Tree

sam_hollandsam_holland Member Posts: 20 PRO
edited April 2021 in Product Feedback
Sometimes I have features in my model that absolutely always come last like rotating a model to make drawing creation easier to adding draft of fillets to a part. It would be interesting if I could right click on a feature and select "keep anchored to end of feature tree" or something similar. That way I don't have to remember each time I add new features.
The highlighted feature here rotates my part so that my draft direction is parallel to the front plane.

Comments

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @samuel_holland This is not an easy thing to do.  However, FeatureScript tables always run at the end of the rollback bar.  In a case like this is seems a derive into a studio with one transform would suffice right?  This could come with some performance hits but the ability to "pin" has some confusing impacts.   Especially in every action would cause regeneration.  For now this is not being considered.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    Am I reading this correct? You are rotating parts for easy creation of initial drawing view.
    Is that not what named views will do? Named views maintain position regardless of feature tree and can be changed later if needed.
    When making the drawing simply select the named view and other projections from it will follow. Of course you can have more than one named view.
  • nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 659 PRO
    ProE/Creo has this ability. Its called "move to footer". I would use it all the time in a skeleton model for published quilts and datums to a subsequent model. This kept the tree better organized. With Onshape allowing multi-body modeling, that is a moot point now. The other way my prior company always used the "move to footer" is to get mass properties to work properly in Creo, or some other custom properties, so they would show up properly on the drawing on our company template. I think again with Onshape this isn't necessary.

Still, not to discount your request, maybe it can be a useful workflow in Onshape?
  • sam_hollandsam_holland Member Posts: 20 PRO
    Yeah, Glen it was a hack to get the correct views before I learned of the named views - which can cause issues for me

Understood if this is hard to do, Lou!
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    I can understand wanting certain features to always be last. Perhaps just put them in a folder with a name like "footer" or "finish" or whatever works for you?