Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Feature Creation: Exercise Revolve - setting diameters

jel111jel111 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited March 2021 in Drawings
I am trying to set the Diameters for this drawing and cannot for the life of me figure out how to set the diameter to the angled line. I have all the constraints set like the exercise drawing and all the other dimensions seem ok. The only one I can't get to pick up the diameter dimension is the angled line. I'm wondering if there is a way to set this in the text box? It would be great if you could write "2.75 dia". Here is what I have.

Answers

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    dimension from one of the outer points of the angled line to the centerline. If you do that, and take the mouse to the other side of the centerline, you get the option to make the dimension diametric instead of radial. 
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • jel111jel111 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    dimension from one of the outer points of the angled line to the centerline. If you do that, and take the mouse to the other side of the centerline, you get the option to make the dimension diametric instead of radial. 
    I actually tried that, I tried the middle construction line and the bottom one. I tried deleting some of the constraints thinking maybe I added the wrong one. I tried to start with that measurement first before trying to add any others. I tried adding the measurement above and then tried to add that measurement. I tried redoing the construction lines. I also started from the beginning with a new drawing and got the same result. I don't know what I am doing wrong but I am going to continue with the tutorial and maybe I will figure it out eventually. Thanks for replying I really appreciate it.
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    Oh I was looking at it wrong. the diameter of that seems like it's already set to 1.5. If you want to set the thickness of that area, just pick either of these edges with the dimension tool. you don't need to pick two things. If it's something else, then you've lost me, haha.

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    What Evan is saying. You have other dimensions fixing the end point of the line.

• jel111jel111 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    It's the way that the tutorial tells you to do it. I tried deleting that dimension and adding a radius again for the lines below with no luck.
  • PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    Not sure which tutorial your looking at but the sketch looks quite busy and perhaps over loaded.
    Try removing the 0.626 length dimension applied diagonally along the line that ends where Evan has high lighted.
    It looks like it has fixed the point at the end.
    Changing between radius and diameter will not change the point you're looking at.
    If you still can't figure out then you might want to make your document public and paste link here.