Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

I cannot get ANY of the features of an imported dxf to select for extrusion

victor_olivevictor_olive Member Posts: 5
I have imported a dxf and can only select elements rather than enclosed spaces - why?

Comments

• Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    @victor_olive, it is extremely likely that the profile is not fully enclosed.  Somewhere there is a gap between adjacent line or curve elements.

The trick is to find and correct those discontinuities so that you can apply sketch constraints to eliminate them.

If you make your document PUBLIC and share the URL someone in this esteemed community will surely detail the solution to your dilemma. 
  • Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @victor_olive

Welcome to the forum.  @matthew_stacy is correct.  Besides sharing here is a way to narrow the search quickly - called 'binary search' by the gurus.  See the thread here.
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    Hi everyone. I have checked the enclosed spaces are correct in the dxf but they will not select. Only the edges will select. To verify this I added a rectangular box with the onshape sketch tools in the same sketch containing the dxf and this new box (which was produced by the onshape tools and is definitely fully enclosed will not select either as it is acting in the same way as the dxf.
  • Options
    I have imported the same dxf into Solid Edge CAD and every face is selectable for extrusion no problem.
  • Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Your sketch has too much going on and is corrupt in Onshape.  I suggest you copy paste smaller portions to new sketches.  I grabbed one area and it had enclosed spaces.  Then also only design one of each part and use assembly to make multiples and mate in position.  This is best practice and will save you a lot of time; then you can also get motion and other assembly advantages.

Here is screen shot of what I cut/pasted to a new sketch and it will work fine.

www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,394
    Hi everyone. I have checked the enclosed spaces are correct in the dxf but they will not select. Only the edges will select. To verify this I added a rectangular box with the onshape sketch tools in the same sketch containing the dxf and this new box (which was produced by the onshape tools and is definitely fully enclosed will not select either as it is acting in the same way as the dxf.
    The fact that you can select edges sounds like you have Surface selected in the extrude dialog?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI