Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Circular patterns won't close

henry_feldmanhenry_feldman Member Posts: 126 EDU
OK I've been using OnShape for years and have no idea what is preventing me from circular patterning. So the scenario is as follows. I have a circle on a plane. I have a sketch with a circle (on an offset plane from the top plane). I have a line of circles on the vertical radius line from the origin. I want to make a circular pattern of those circles (make a strainer pattern if you will). Now the first thing that's weird is all my circular patterns are defaulting to 240 degrees (not 360). And it will not let me drag past 240 (I can type in larger). If I go to 360 the pattern disappears, while at 359 it works (but has overlaps).

Any ideas?

Comments

• Alex_KempenAlex_Kempen Member Posts: 244 EDU
    When you first create a circular pattern, there's an angular manipulator with auto-snapping behavior that lets you close the pattern (by dragging the angular manipulator near the start of the pattern). Newly created patterns also automatically default to close.

Once you make a circular pattern open and confirm it, I don't think there's an easy way to make it closed again. At that point, it's probably easiest just to remake it.

You can also read more about this on the circular sketch pattern help page.
    CS Student at UT Dallas
    Alex.Kempen@utdallas.edu
    Check out my FeatureScripts here:

• mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, this is probably more easily done via pattern features vs sketch patterns.
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    I just remembered a few years ago I made a modified version of circular pattern that does this in one feature.

Circular Pattern FS

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    @henry_feldman
    Are you able to share a link to your document? That does seem like strange behavior.

If all you want is a "strainer" pattern you might also try my Speaker Pattern feature. You can get this in one feature with zero sketches if you're going for something like this.

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • henry_feldmanhenry_feldman Member Posts: 126 EDU
    I mean I was able to generate the strainer pattern eventually, but thanks @Evan_Reese , but the whole I can't turn past 240 degrees is really frustrating on a sketch and there is no message as to what is happening. At least for me a feature pattern does the exact same thing versus a sketch pattern. But since often my destination is a laser cutter sketches are handy... (or if I have to use feature patterns I select the surface I want and right click and export that as dxf which works OK (although none of the closed shapes are actually closed compared to Fusion's DXFs where a rectangle is joined at the corners while OnShape generates 4 lines that meet (but not joined) at the corners.