Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Dimensioning discontinuous lines in a drawing?

phil_gophil_go Member Posts: 4 PRO
Hi,

I'm fairly new to onshape and have trouble in modifying discontinuous lines that sometimes occur when creating a drawing from a part file. I attached a screenshot where the line of an edge radius is broken and I can't measure it.
Is there a way to delete and renew broken lines? Am I missing something else here?
Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

• Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @phil_go - is the drawing view exactly aligned with the cross-section of the that fillet? If the little knob thing is circular, can you create a cross-section view through the middle to make sure the view alignment is correct?

It's a little hard to tell what's going on, but sometimes with complex shapes, you can end up with curves in drawings that don't have a constant radius (like if you made an angled cut through a cylinder - your curves would be elliptical).

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,395
    Does the part have those edges in it? Can you make it public and share?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Hi Neil, unfortunately I can't make my part public. I will share a screenshot where the structur is more visible, but I have found this problem to occur on other curved features as well. I'm just curious if there is a way to manually change the drawing, e.g. erase lines and reconnect to existing features?

• Options
    SmithSmith Member Posts: 7 EDU
    phil_go said:
    Hi Neil, unfortunately I can't make my part public. I will share a screenshot where the structur is more visible, but I have found this problem to occur on other curved features as well. I'm just curious if there is a way to manually change the drawing, e.g. erase lines and reconnect to existing features?
    If you reconnect the lines so the ends a flush, you should be able to dimension individual curves.  To go back to a sketch manually, just look at the action list on the left hand side of your screen, and double click the sketch you would like to edit.  To make the end of the lines connect, you can use the coincident constraint (the default shortcut is "i" if I remember correctly).

Hope this helped,
    Ethan
  • Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @phil_go - is the drawing view exactly aligned with the cross-section of the that fillet? If the little knob thing is circular, can you create a cross-section view through the middle to make sure the view alignment is correct?

It's a little hard to tell what's going on, but sometimes with complex shapes, you can end up with curves in drawings that don't have a constant radius (like if you made an angled cut through a cylinder - your curves would be elliptical).
  • Options
    phil_go said:
    If you reconnect the lines so the ends a flush, you should be able to dimension individual curves.  To go back to a sketch manually, just look at the action list on the left hand side of your screen, and double click the sketch you would like to edit.  To make the end of the lines connect, you can use the coincident constraint (the default shortcut is "i" if I remember correctly).

Hope this helped,
    Ethan
    Thats the sketch modus. I'm experiencing that issue when creating a part drawing.

That must be it then, since I'm experiencing this with complex shapes as you said. Thus probably resulting in non constant radii.
    Thank you.