Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Export is not creating the proper iges file to import to another tool and render the surfaces

otmar_yakaboskiotmar_yakaboski Member Posts: 3 EDU
I created two spheres and "split" them with a defined plane to create uneven sizes. I select the split parts and "export" them as an iges file. The split spheres on one side of the cut plane (blue in the attached .jpg image) render correctly when imported into a meshing tool. The split portion of the spheres on the other side of the cut plane (orange in the attached .jpg image)  do not render properly IF the split particle is larger than 50% of surface area of the original sphere. You read that correctly,  the orange split particle that is a small fraction of the original sphere renders properly but the LARGER one does not. (Odd...) This was verified  by  a colleague who also read them (imported) the exported iges files into SolidWorks. The larger particles on the "orange" side of the split plane render as  a whole sphere in the meshing tool I use and as a distorted sphere in SolidWorks. IGES format is the only format my meshing tool seems successful importing.

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,367
    And how does it look if you re-import the file back into Onshape? The IGES file format (pronounced "I Guess") was discontinued in 1995. Do you have access to a more modern meshing tool?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI