Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Cross Sections

CadmanCadman Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
Unless I am missing something, cross sections work well but only horizontal and vertical are limiting. We need to be able to create other cross sections, such as one that is perpendicular to a selected edge or at a specific angle. Other packages I am familiar with, you can create a line for the cross section, then use it. The line turns into the section line and a view is generated from that.

Comments

• _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    +1 for Cross Section options, Great Suggestion, you should raise a ticket and or make an improvement request.
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    Mate connectors are another way to position cross sections. More controls will come. This is a good one for voting on. 
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shashank_aarya
    This is a different discussion topic. Section views in drawings (being discussed here) do not currently relate in any way to section views in models.

I'm guessing Lou's comment also falls on the wrong side of this divide.

While it's very easy to miss the "Drawings" category in small print in the header of the OP, I'd have thought that the discussion of "vertical and horizontal only" in the OP was a bit of a  giveaway, as this limitation only applies to drawings.

Another serious whatsit in the section view woodpile is the current inability to move the label  away from the view.
    This means that no dimensions can be arranged underneath the view, as their extension lines would have to run across the view label.

There is a more subtle whatsit: when you try to drag a Section View Label away from the view, using the central handle (which is the only viable way to drag, say, a dimension) the label stays stubbornly stuck.
    Whereas when you drag from elsewhere in the box, a preview shows the label moving.
    However when you release the mouse button, it snaps back to where it started.

This sort of investigation is made tedious and frustrating by the massive latency, at least on this side of the planet, opposite where the servers presumably reside.
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Here's an example of what I mean about the Section View Label being inappropriately anchored 

BTW, producing this drawing was like a trip down memory lane, to the days before the PC.

It was like drawing in ink on tracing paper with a Rotring lettering template, except slower and more frustrating.

And the result is only good enough for use by me in my own workshop:
    I would never permit a client to clap eyes on something so amateurish and constrained

I need to move all the left hand dimensions further from the sectioned part. I assumed I could select them all (which worked fine) and than drag one and the others would maintain their relativity (which didn't: only the one I dragged moved)

Given the latency, it would take me about ten minutes to get them all lined up at a suitable distance from the item.
    Which is similar to what it took to carefully scrape the ink away with a scalpel and painstakingly re-letter each dimension, in the bad old days...

----- 

... So my feedback is severely limited by only being able to use Onshape for drawing items I'm making with my own hands.

The items have to be extremely simple, like the component shown here, and even then, I have to have plenty of spare time to wrestle with the latency and lack of functionality. And further time to write up for the forum. So I guess this is by way of explanation for why I won't be able to contribute much if anything to the drawing module development, at least until much later in the process.
  • shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    @andrew_troup Thanks for correcting me. I missed to read the tag label "Drawings". Anyways this can be very good topic to discuss about section views in drawings.