Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is it possible to extrude a single surface from intersecting sketch curves?

I want to create a somewhat complex feature on a spherical body. The sketch below shows the profile straight-on, with each set of offset curves corresponding to a progressively deeper cut into the body. I'll do the final feature with a split and thicken-removes, but I'd like to do it as economically as possible, and it looks like each set of curve loops in the sketch (there are 5) will need to become its own sketch and surface extrude feature (trying to do it in one go causes the extrude to fail).

I'm coming from Solidworks where I could go straight from this single sketch to a split line in one feature, without creating new sketches or extruding any surfaces, let alone 5 separate ones. Is there a more efficient way to do this that I'm missing?

Thanks!

Answers

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Onshape features can be created from individually selected sketch contours. So yes, it's totally possible for this one sketch to drive successive extrude or thicken features. You just have to make sure the various endpoints are coincident and create closed loops/contours.
  • Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,716 PRO
    If you share your document via link, we will be able to help you better.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    stowe_hammarbergstowe_hammarberg Member Posts: 4
    Hi, sorry about that I hadn't intended to post this yet, but it looks like I did somehow. Here's the model, the sketch in question is "texture profile" at the top of the tree.

I did figure out how to do the split line the way I wanted, but ultimately took a different approach anyway. Regardless, it still looks like I'm not able to extrude a surface from a single sketch with multiple closed loops like I can in solidworks, which is something I probably don't need to do often but seems like a limitation and I'm wondering if there's a way to do it that would make onshape happier. See the screenshot below from SW vs this model with the same feature attempted.

Thanks again

• Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭✭

Regardless, it still looks like I'm not able to extrude a surface from a single sketch with multiple closed loops like I can in solidworks, which is something I probably don't need to do often but seems like a limitation and I'm wondering if there's a way to do it that would make onshape happier. See the screenshot below from SW vs this model with the same feature attempted.

Thanks again

You can get somewhat close with one extrude

And complete it with a second extrude

• Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    @stowe_hammarberg - In summary - in onshape, you can use a single sketch, but you'll need to do multiple extrude operations.

After doing the first, the sketch will be hidden. Just un-hide the sketch and you can continue to select individual edges for additional extrude features. It's a little bit more work compared to your single solidworks feature, but it'll work just fine.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,388
    If I understand your final design intent correctly then why use surfaces at all? For each of the regions in your sketch, extrude/remove a solid up to part with a progressively larger offset. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI