Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Connection between two metal sheets

nicola_malagnininicola_malagnini Member Posts: 35 EDU
edited May 2021 in General
hello.

like the pics, i need to connect two metal sheets 1 and 2. the path of the new sheet must be the red line, with that angle (i cannot move sheet 1)

in other software is simply using ''bend' command, but in onshape i can't find a command similar to..

thanks in advance 

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,395
    It's not possible to connect two separate sheet metal model features. You will have to create a sketch of the red line and (1) then create a flange from the edge of (2) using "aligh geometry" and "up to vertex", then another flange to create (1).
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    nicola_malagnininicola_malagnini Member Posts: 35 EDU
    ok. right. thanks.
  • Options
    shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 807 PRO
    I find sheet metal most powerful in Onshape when not trying to work the way I did in other cad. I find things work way better when I design my part using normal geometry like extrude adds and removes. You can create all sorts of complex geometry while leveraging boolean tools. Then when the main shaping is done, I usually delete some faces to turn my solid into a surface and then generate my sheet metal using the convert option. Onshape really loves you tenderly when you use that option  and makes life so simple. As I got used to it I realized its really the most intuitive way to design sheet metal. It lets you think about the shape first and then the sheet metal last instead of worrying about both all at the same time. There's a reason Onshape made the convert option the default selection when initiating the sheet metal feature. Onshape is really quite forward thinking with there whole system.