Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Issue with Open Source Hardware projects

gonzalo_chomongonzalo_chomon OS Professional Posts: 52 ✭✭
edited September 2015 in Account and subscriptions
We are developing an Open Source Hardware (OSH) project.
We meet Onshape people about a year ago and it was fantastic as it was like a dream, it is the perfect platform for a OSH project.

We been working and designing in the platform since them, first just playing and testing with it, and since some months ago we are fully working in it.
The sofware already has more less all features that we need and as per we have seen the progresion of it, we are sure that anything that we may need will be implemented on near future.

After working for a while in our project we have realized how fast the size of the document grows. All files, parts, assemblies, etc. are in the same document as recomended by Onshape and as we think as well that is the best.

Now the document is over 1.5GB and it is less than 1/4 of it developed. So we will provably finish with a document that will be far way over 5GB.

And here is the issue: When we will open the document to the commons, so anyone can access, it will be not possible to access or copy it with a free account, as it will be over 5GB size.
Obiously that is not what is expected from a OSH project.

I am just exposing what I have been thinking of, maybe Onshape people already have a way to deal with this issue.

(Sorry for my English, it is not my mother tong and the computer I am using does not have corrector...)

Comments

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    Remember that making a copy will strip off all the history, other workspaces and versions. These do contribute to the overall size you are seeing. 
    This is a good point to raise and we will learn from projects like yours. Thank you for sharing this. 
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    gonzalo_chomongonzalo_chomon OS Professional Posts: 52 ✭✭
    Thank you @lougallo for  the response.
    So what you mean is that we make a copy of our document and then make public that copy instead of the original.
    So that copy will not have all history or versions, so overall document size will be reduced. That is perfect :)

I just made a test in order to see how much difference on size it will be, but the size fill says "null" :neutral:  That I don't know what it means.