Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

need help with organic surfaces.

marc_tiniomarc_tinio Member Posts: 9
i need help with creating a specific shape but i cant figure out how. document below is the failed attempt. also attached, a sketch of the shape i want to replicate. i just started last year so i don't have a lot of experience.https://cad.onshape.com/documents/10ef52aa1df733a35e147622/w/ae068c771268ced4f6b8a990/e/d09f82ea166755d8a94a1c1d

Comments

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    I like your sketch!

This kind of organic stuff is possible, but tough with Onshape. If you want to invest time toward learning more character design kind of things, consider learning Blender, which is free and better suited to doughy organic shapes. However, I happen to get excited about challenges like this, so I'll try to make time soon to take a crack at it in Onshape.

It's tough to tell from the sketches, are there meant to be any creases on the head, or should it all be smooth? Also, what's your end goal? Are you 3D printing it?
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,718 PRO
    @Evan_Reese
    You should do this in Onshape Phi

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    @MichaelPascoe
    Good thinking, and this seems like the right application for it. I'm very intrigued by Phi, but I have yet to see a sample model or demo that is quite as clean as I'd like. So far what i've seen, even in their own demos, is that areas meant to be smooth, still can have wrinkles, wobbles, and creases where they shouldn't be. I don't mean to speak badly though, and I certainly don't want to pretend I've practiced it enough to push its limits. What they've accomplished already is impressive, and I think they'll get it to a point that I can start using it professionally soon. I'm keeping an eye on it.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    I like your sketch!

This kind of organic stuff is possible, but tough with Onshape. If you want to invest time toward learning more character design kind of things, consider learning Blender, which is free and better suited to doughy organic shapes. However, I happen to get excited about challenges like this, so I'll try to make time soon to take a crack at it in Onshape.

It's tough to tell from the sketches, are there meant to be any creases on the head, or should it all be smooth? Also, what's your end goal? Are you 3D printing it?
    the idea is a smooth shape from head to snout. i'm planning on printing it as a small key charm that can hold micro sd cards (hence the decision to model in onshape.i want as much control on the dimensions as possible.) blender was also an option. the problem is my laptop old. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    here's another try using the method i know best. also, is onshape phi free or do i need to pay for it after the beta ends? iv'e seen some demos and i'm exited for this new feature. https://cad.onshape.com/documents/118e01e3454a8b5d9d2e3f3a/w/8746d7860e3350ff1f1aba86/e/9b08a1581186100dc176d399
  • Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,718 PRO
    Good points Evan.

@marc_tinio If I remember correctly, Phi will be free for all Onshape users.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎