Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Preventing revision bump on assembly components

jmccormickjmccormick Member Posts: 40
When I release a drawing, the assembly is understandably also bumped in revision.  However, in my attempts to release assembly drawings so far, I am always forced to update each component in that assembly and any subassemblies.  This is causing releases to components that have not actually changed.

Is there a way to prevent assembly components from a revision change when the assembly is released?

Best Answer

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited May 2021 Answer ✓
    Go through all your parts in the assembly and change to version. You can change to the latest release which is indicated by the black triangle. It might help to also do this with the drawings. It's a lot of extra work but the only way to make release management work correctly.

Like this

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   

Answers

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited May 2021 Answer ✓
    Go through all your parts in the assembly and change to version. You can change to the latest release which is indicated by the black triangle. It might help to also do this with the drawings. It's a lot of extra work but the only way to make release management work correctly.

Like this

• Options
    Thanks, I will try that.  In my first attempt at releasing a project, I released the parts and part drawings.  That went well.  I then released the sub-assemblies and drawings.  OnShape forced me to bump the parts' revision (but not the drawings) that I just released.  Then, when I released the top-level assembly and drawing, OnShape forced another revision bump for the parts and subassemblies.  It was kind of a mess.

I see what you are doing and I expected OnShape to use the last released instances of all parts and subassemblies but I guess that is not the case.  
  • Options
    That worked well enough.  Thank you for the guidance.   

I must say that I don't particularly like the software deciding when my components and drawings are going to be placed in an "In Work" state - workspace, whatever.  I would prefer that when something is released, it simply goes into a read-only mode.  Then a human can decide when something has to be changed and when it is opened up to editing.  I know that OnShape has touted this automatic "In Work" as a benefit but I do not agree.  

For now, all is well and I have learned something.
  • Options
    great, glad it worked. 

Another tip is to check the not revision managed in the part or assembly properties. I'd do this for fasteners and other off the shelve parts and also configured assembly :'( which don't work with release management.