Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Animating problems

wruckerwrucker Member Posts: 1 EDU
Hi, I can't figure out how to make all the animations play with one button click, in my document there is a handle that you turn which activates a lot of gears and cams but I can only play the animations individually, and there has to be a way to make it so that when I turn the handle that the animations all play at once, but I can't figure it out. I've also had some issues trying to animate something that just goes up and down, because the only animation commands I am finding make things do other actions, like go up and down while rotating, or going up and down on the wrong axis. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks. https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c21f9aba43da0574269f5eff/w/1e828aac17d39dd72d2c500e/e/a248378f53cae58fb43a0078 document for context

Comments

• tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    The way to do this is to use relations along with your mates so that you can animate the handle and all the other things will move along with it. 

• wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 472 PRO
    Your way of using mates is all wrong, the gear, cams, and handle should all be using fasten mates the shaft should use a revolute mate between it and the box. You will need a slider mate on your cam arms to get them to work right. I would suggest you check out the help documents and the learning center to get a better understanding of Onshape mates.  
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    @wayne_sauder is correct, nothing was mated up correctly.

so in the real world if you were to make this, you would make sure your cams are keyed to the rotating shaft. (so they rotate together)
    same thing applies here, we use fastened or group mates to lock the parts  together.

there were a few holes i needed to cut into the top of the box to give a mate connector for the boat cam follower rods to slide up and down.
    also one for the lighthouse to mate to with a revolute.

after that it was a  tangent mate on each of the boat cams, and a gear relation on the bevel gear.

then animate one of the revolute mates to start the animation.

there was also an issue with your pear shape cam. It was not a smooth tangent edge, so i had to edit the sketch to make the shape consistently smooth.
    it is good practice to sketch off of the origin point as well, and never leave blue sketch lines in a sketch (fully constrain your sketches)

here is the working model you may study: automata - Copy - Copy | automata (onshape.com)automata - Copy - Copy | automata (onshape.com)