Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How do I move or copy a part from 1 version of document to another?

vince_longvince_long Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
I seem to have lost a part in my latest version of a document but can find it in the earlier version. How do i get it back to my latest version please?

Best Answers

Answers

• mthiesmeyermthiesmeyer Onshape Employees Posts: 115
    Answer ✓
    Hi @vince_long,

When you say that you lost a "part" is that a specific part within a Part Studio or a whole Part Studio tab?

Best,

Mike

• jake_delano19jake_delano19 Member, csevp Posts: 19 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Use the Restore to <workspace> option that you are given in the versions and history graph to bring your document back to its earlier version. If the part that you're looking for is showing up in that earlier version, then it should show up when you bring your document back. Use the Working with Versions page in our help center to show you how to do this. 
  • vince_longvince_long Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Hi Mike,
     I lost a single part from a part studio. I've read the help on restore and have not got my head around the the whole restore and versions area yet. I have over come it by re-modelling but I know that was not the right thing to do. Is there not a way of doing a cut and paste type of function?
    Regards
    Vince Long
  • john_hauckjohn_hauck Member Posts: 52 PRO
    edited June 2021
    Use the Restore to <workspace> option that you are given in the versions and history graph to bring your document back to its earlier version. If the part that you're looking for is showing up in that earlier version, then it should show up when you bring your document back. Use the Working with Versions page in our help center to show you how to do this. 
    Jake,

Suppose last week I deleted a part in a document. Then I made countless improvements to the main branch of the document. Now, I decide I want to restore the deleted part (while preserving all the other improvements in the main branch). Your answer above certainly allows me to view the deleted part, allows me to make copies of the document in that state, and allows me to restore the main branch to that older version. None of those are really my end goal. What would you suggest the best practice be for accomplishing this? Specifically, to preserve the countless improvements to the main branch of the document while restoring the deleted part. Ideally, the restored part would come with its change history.
  • mthiesmeyermthiesmeyer Onshape Employees Posts: 115
    Answer ✓
    @vince_long the smallest unit of change we have in our system is at the element level, so it is not possible to restore a single part in a Part Studio without losing all other changes you made to that Part Studio in the intervening time.

@john_hauck please see this method https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/15028/pro-tip-how-to-restore-a-deleted-tab-after-you-have-made-changes-without-losing-work#latest for restoring the state of a single element to a specific moment in time
  • vince_longvince_long Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Thank you