Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to fill a shape with a pattern

ian_harris952ian_harris952 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
I've been struggling with this for hours. I know there must be an easy way but I can't find it.
I have a shape (a plane wing rib) that I would like to fill with a hexagon pattern (or any other pattern) so I can 3D print the rib.
I've come close. I managed to create a hexagon pattern with the linear pattern tool after much trial and error, as I could find no way of ensuring the edges snapped together at the correct points, so had to do it manually eventually. Then I did a boolean operation to combine the outline of the rib with the hexagon pattern, and that worked but didn't really do what I wanted it to do. I want to end up with a rib shape that is 1.5mm thick, and the inside of the rib filled with hexagons (or squares, or triangles...) with edges also 1.5mm thick.

All advice gratefully received,
;-)

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    You need the hex infill feature from here: https://www.onshape.com/en/features/custom-features
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Or maybe the Fill Pattern feature might work better (from same location)
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • ian_harris952ian_harris952 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Hi Neil, and thanks for the reply.
    I tried both of these functions, and met with limited success. The Hex Infill function didn't do what I was expecting it to do, but maybe that's the way it is supposed to work. When I tried it it created a sketch of hex cells with the specified dimensions behind the part I am trying to fill, but it didn't do the the extrude to subtract the hex shapes from the part. I could do it manually but it was a lot of manual effort trying to select only hex cells to extrude. I selected them with a click and drag box, but that selected the part too, and I had to go through the list to find the references to the part (and the sketch it was extruded from) and remove them from the extrude. It took me quite a few goes to get it right. Is this how it's supposed to work?
    I also noticed it doesn't work at all if the "hex preview" box is not checked.
    The Fill Pattern feature I could not get to work at all. I created a part (a cylinder) and selected the end of it as the "face to pattern", then  I selected the part that I wanted to apply the pattern to. Nothing happened. So I tried specifying a direction, but anything I selected on the part make the "face to pattern" turn red. So no joy there at all. Have I done something wrong? Is there an example of its use I could have a look at?
    Thanks,
    Ian