Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

IMPORTING DWG & DXF FILES

Luke_EdwardsLuke_Edwards Member Posts: 10 PRO
Importing a DWG & DXF file seems to be hit and miss. For some reason OnShape does not like extruding sketches that have been imported in.

I had to generate a second sketch and use the 'project/convert' tool in order to re-generate the sketch and for some reason by doing that, it then decided it WAS a closed boundary. 

As a result of this I am loosing a lot of time on OnShape because the way the software interprets imported data is not quite right.

This seems to be a common issue but what are the best options for solving this issue when it occurs with the least amount of time?

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,387
    Hi Luke - where are the DXF files coming from? If the area of the sketch is shaded then it's good for extruding. Here is a good technique to find out where the gap is: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/59027#Comment_59027
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Luke_EdwardsLuke_Edwards Member Posts: 10 PRO
    @NeilCooke Thanks for the comment, unfortunately this isn't a problem with any gaps in the geometry - The method you sent me is what I use and it's not a case of this. Unfortunately OnShape is struggling to interpret the data for some reason. 

Sometimes I can completely re-draw the file (delete all lines and go over it and even then it will not accept the sketch as a closed boundary. It's some sort of glitch that happens from time to time. As for the source of the DXF, I use AutoCAD as my main drawing tools for more complex designs as it's much, much quicker to use (and before exporting I always hatch the geometry I want to extrude to ensure the drawing is a closed boundary). So it is certainly an OnShape issue.

Thanks never the less, 

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,387
    If you’re sure the DXF is good quality, create a support ticket. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI