Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to delete the version files in the Onshape?

Mavis_MaMavis_Ma Member Posts: 9 PRO

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,381
    You can’t thats the whole point. Just create a new version when needed. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    wout_theelen541wout_theelen541 Member, csevp Posts: 198 PRO
    edited March 2023
    Mavis_Ma said:
    @NeilCooke

There is actually one workaround which is to copy a workspace, in this case though you will have no history.
    I would err away from this approach though except in a few use cases such as if you're going from an educational/free license to a paid license in order to make your document private.
    The other use case I can think of is a project where you have a clear reason for not wanting a version history for example if you hand off something to a consultant or colleague and want to see if they will come up with new ideas independent of what was tried before.

I often find myself creating extra versions as I forget to make some minor changes such as rolling the feature bar back to end, a hole size etc. In that case it would be nice for me to delete a version in order to clean up my version tree. I wouldn't lose the data associated with the version it would just become a regular change then.
    What I do though is I just don't name these versions in that case it indicates in was one of these minor versions 
    in any case the majority of the time you are only looking at versions between releases (if you have professional or enterprise)

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,361 PRO
    I'm not sure if this helps, but even though you can't delete the version, you can edit the name later. Right click, and select properties.
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,504 PRO
    If you want to send something to a 3rd party without history (but still want the feature tree so can't use a publication/derive), you can always duplicate the part studio/assembly and move it to a new document.
    If you have a document created with a free account can you not transfer ownership to a paid subscription "owner" and make it private (I haven't tried so I'm not sure!)
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    I do wish there were a way to at least "demote" a version back to a microversion. This would mostly be for the reason mentioned above where I make a change which I think is the last, make a version then update it somewhere and realize I need another change. Repeat that a few times and I now have a bunch of useless immutable versions hanging out. It's like the Onshape equivalent of naming a file "Main Assembly_FINAL_FINAL_FINAL_ACTUAL FINAL_03_05_23.stp". No idea what "demoting" versions would mess up on the back end though. Maybe it would need to warn that it will break links anywhere that version is externally linked.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl