Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Toggle selection behavior from multiple to regular Single select

gda_ctogda_cto Member Posts: 13 PRO
edited August 2021 in Product Feedback
I would like the ability to change the selection of items behavior. I personally find the multiple selection behaviour unintuitive, frustrating and wastes a lot of time.

In almost every other computer program, the default selection of items behaviour is to select individual items until you hold the ctrl or shift key (with some minor differences in certain views).

I get that OnShape has it's own way of doing things, but I feel that those things that are different from the default behavior of most programs or even the operating system, those should be something you can change to standard behaviour, just as you made the different mouse controls user selectable.

Comments

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    This is a behavior we have built into everything in Onshape and is part of our foundational ux.  At this point we are not considering a change at this time.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    Ed_in_3DEd_in_3D Member Posts: 5 PRO
    PLEASE change it. At least offer a preference setting. How many people need to make this argument before you simply do it?

We don't care if it is onshape standard. You can justify it however you want but it's bad design. It is the inverse of the vast majority of other software and for those of us who have to work in any other program throughout the course of the day it simply sucks.  Most especially for those of us using different 3D modeling software.

You have a lot of users who don't care about consistency between different device types. Furthermore, with any model that has a long tree, it is simply too easy to leave something selected by accident. 

Your desire to save money with your engineering team makes life hard for the rest of us. Listen to your users. 
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,359 PRO
    I also have to say the behavior is odd, and painful to get used to. I tell myself it's to make the UX between mobile and desktop more consistent, but I'm really not sure what was going through Onshape's UX team early on.

What I can say is there are a couple things which make it tolerable:
    1. The cursor has a little number next to it when you've made selections (1, 2, 3 ... up to "5+"). This is the count of selected items.
    2. Use the spacebar shortcut to deselect on desktop. 
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    edited March 2022
    S1mon said:
    [...]
    The cursor has a little number next to it when you've made selections (1, 2, 3 ... up to "5+") [...]
    This would be nicer if it went up to as many items as you had, rather than just 5...
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100