Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to animate a compliant mechanism in Assembly

vikram_koli595vikram_koli595 Member Posts: 31 EDU
Hello everyone, I have been using compliant mechanisms in my designs recently and have found that they are very useful. I need some way to look at how the mechanism will bend. I think a simulator might be better at this but I'm not sure. Help would be appreciated! Thanks

Best Answers

• Options
    alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    Answer ✓
    You'll want to use an external simulator for this.

In Onshape, Part Studios define the geometry of parts while Assemblies define how parts move relative to each other (so bending a part within an assembly is not possible, only inside the Part Studio). Plus, compliant mechanisms are pretty challenging to simulate.

Unfortunately, I don't have experience with simulating compliant mechanisms, so I am not sure which software to recommend.
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    Answer ✓
    you may be able to use one of the simulation tools in the app store
    App Store - Onshape

Answers

• Options
    alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    Answer ✓
    You'll want to use an external simulator for this.

In Onshape, Part Studios define the geometry of parts while Assemblies define how parts move relative to each other (so bending a part within an assembly is not possible, only inside the Part Studio). Plus, compliant mechanisms are pretty challenging to simulate.

Unfortunately, I don't have experience with simulating compliant mechanisms, so I am not sure which software to recommend.
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    Answer ✓
    you may be able to use one of the simulation tools in the app store
    App Store - Onshape
  • Options
    vikram_koli595vikram_koli595 Member Posts: 31 EDU
    Thanks for the guidance! I will do my research